Friday, November 29, 2019

"The Times They Are a-Changin'" - 1964


I've said of the title track, "I feel like in some ways, Dylan has been writing that song for 50 years." And it's getting close to 60.

That's in no way a knock against Bob. He's got a message and part of that message is that things change; you've either got to push back or change with them. It's up to you to decide not only which you'll do, but which you think is right. I love that.

It's startling to realize that Bob Dylan had been at this for only THREE YEARS when he was writing some of his most enduring work. And this time it's ALL ORIGINALS. No covers or "traditional" songs this time around. (And really, what's the difference between a cover and a traditional song? Basically you pay licensing for one and not for the other, I guess.) 

There are those who would call the album "politically charged." I prefer to think of it as "socially charged" because things like being opposed to racism, helping the impoverished, and seeking social change have nothing to do with politics. They're basic human issues--you're either a human being and you care, or you're not because you don't. You shouldn't have to vote about that. (Weird that I wasn't a Dylan-Guy until now, isn't it?) There's less wordplay on the album. More of a serious tone, addressing serious issues. People pushed back against that at the time--I guess he was supposed to address racism with a smile? Or not at all? I know I'm approaching this in 2019 with the benefit of hindsight, but I think the record is damn near perfect in tone and delivery.

And that's saying a lot, given the hit-or-miss nature of the recording sessions. I learned researching for this blog that there were several sessions where Dylan would record multiple tracks and they would be deemed "unusable" and discarded. (Some eventually ended up on the "Bootleg" series or elsewhere.) There were a couple days where even though it was just a guitar and vocal arrangement even Bob Dylan left the studio with nothing to show for it. I've got to tell you, as a musician, I find that encouraging. But eventually, Bob did enough good work to produce this album and "The Times They Are a-Changin'" became one of his best known songs.

A month after the recording sessions were finished, President John F. Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas. The album would come out less than two months later. Dylan stated that the assassination did not inform the album (and that is clear based on the timeline) but the album sure captured the world in which it happened. The whole time he was writing the title track, Bob knew he was writing an anthem. He just had to wait for history to bear him out on that. Unfortunately, it only took a couple months. People call the album "pessimistic." It's strange how often reality comes across as pessimism, isn't it?

"The Times They Are a-Changin'" is definitely Dylan's most protest-based album and in my eyes stands among his best work. It's not my favorite Dylan record (we've got several weeks before we get there), but it's on the list. I wasn't born when these songs were written and yet as I'm entering my 40s they feel as fresh and vibrant as ever.

Favorite Tracks:
  • "The Times They Are a-Changin'" - Of course.
  • With God on Our Side
  • One Too Many Mornings - Which I've learned is a favorite of fans of this era of Dylan. Good.
  • Only a Pawn in Their Game - Although I feel that he's a little off-base in equating the plight of poor white people to the plight of African Americans. I feel like it was clear that wasn't correct even in the 60s. But a good song nonetheless and his heart was in the right place.
If it's been a while for you on this one, there are worse ways to spend a drive to work. And it might just get you fired up enough to make you want to help some people out, too. That's no bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment